Frankfurt Gestalten - open data and participation project for local politics
What are politician's decisions about your neighborhood? What does usually happen in my street and what could be done better? In Frankfurt, Germany, there is a website called Frankfurt-Gestalten.de (Create Frankfurt), which makes local political decision more transparent and offers a new space for citizen to participate. The concept is to combine the following dimensions, which hopefully lead to a vibrant engagement:
- Connecting to local information service, compromising local political decision of the district committee and offer the information in three new ways:
- Geo-reference data, so issues can be tracked easily, right in your neighborhood or street.
- Thousands of documents are tagged with key words, so they can be found quicker.
- Latest decisions and/or discussions can be tracked in a map.
- An email service is offered to citizens to get the latest updates or changes on their neighborhood, so they are aware of issues, such as when a new parking house is planned.
- The district committee discussion is extended to the Internet. Citizens can comment on decisions and discuss further, for example, the issue of a speeding camera.
- Citizens are welcome to bring in their own ideas about what is needed to be changed and find neighbours with similar interests.